Our Vision and Mission
Building Responsibly is a group of leading engineering and construction companies working together to raise the bar in promoting the rights and welfare of workers across the industry. We advance our programs by:
- Adopting common principles and practices
- Developing tools
- Engaging workers, clients, governments, civil society, and international organizations
- Driving innovation and continuous improvement
Launched in February 2017 by six industry-leading engineering and construction companies, Building Responsibly is a global, business-led coalition committed to promoting the rights and welfare of workers. The initiative hinges on the belief that pre-competitive collaboration is essential for companies to improve standards, policies, and practices to accelerate impact across the industry.
The founding members were: Bechtel, Fluor, Jacobs (formerly CH2M), Multiplex, Vinci, and Wood (formerly Amec Foster Wheeler).
In June 2018, Building Responsibly is launching the Building Responsibly Principles for members to adopt and promote across the engineering and construction industry. These Principles provide a framework for the group’s ongoing development of good practice notes, implementation guides, and tools. They will also set the direction for engaging with clients, subcontractors, recruitment agents, governments, and other key stakeholders in the engineering and construction value chain.
Other 2018 Priorities
- Launch the Building Responsibly Principles and develop suite of implementation guidance materials
- Launch Business Case Brief to encourage more active awareness about the needs to engage on the topic and get involved in collective solutions
- Foster peer-to-peer learning and development of new partnerships through webinars with innovative tool providers and initiatives
- Share open source tools between members to encourage improved practices
- Grow the membership and develop further project opportunities for impact via new collaborations and partnerships
- Continue to develop working relationships with key organizations
- Continue to engage stakeholder organizations (NGOs, peer initiatives, clients, recruitment agents, multi-laterals, etc.) at member meetings and other events